Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I saw a post on a Facebook Ebay group that I participate in. One of the posts showed a car full of a thrifter’s score. It reminded me of something that happened about a year ago. My good friend Mary and I used to go thrifting every Saturday. We started a store in her basement where we held “Girl’s Night Out” parties. Mary did the clothing and sold on Ebay. I did the accessories – purses, scarves, jewelry, etc. which I also sold on Ebay. Fast forward a year or two. Mary decided to open her own brick and mortar women's consignment store “Apparel Obsession”. I did my best to help where I could to help get up and running. One day I was in the grocery store and my cell phone range. It was Mary. She said “Hi, how are you doing?” I said “Fine, I’m food shopping.” Pause. Ok, I say to myself “Mary needs something” Mary “Richie was here and he was at a yard sale yesterday” Riche was this guy who would come into her store to buy sterling etc. He seemed kind of creepy at first, but after getting to know him, he was a sweetheart. I cut to the chase “Alright, what do you need?” Mary: “Well, he was at a yard sale yesterday where they had boxes of new samples of Vanity Fair bras” Me: “Yeah?” Mary: “He doesn’t have a car today. He didn’t buy any because he didn’t know if I would take them into my store” Me: “Ok, let me get this straight. You want me to come over and pick up Richie and find the yard sale and see if we can get some of these bras. Right?” Mary: “Well, yes” Me: “Can I at least go home first and put the frozen food away?” So I got over to her store, get directions of where to pick up Richie, go to Richie’s, pick up Richie. He cannot, by the way, quite remember where the yard sale was. So we drive all over Marshfield (Mass.). Finally, he sees a road that look familiar. I put on my brakes and almost get rear-ended. He tells me he hopes we can get the whole lot for $200.00. We get there and go into the garage and there has to be four or five boxes filled with sample bras. After looking it over, I finally say “How many can we get for $100.00”. The answer was “All of these and three boxes in the basement”. SCORE!!! So Richie takes a box in puts it in my car. "No Way" I say. "Take the bras out of the boxes and just stuff them into the car. Otherwise, we'll have to make four trips." So we stuff all these bras into my car. It's overflowing. Cars are honking at me because the back window is filled. Richie, Mary and I each put in 1/3. When Richie moved to the mid-west he gave up his 1/3 share. I have given up my 1/3. ...and Mary still is selling these on Ebay. Here are the pics. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment